• img1

  • img2

Studies in Australia

Australia is proud to have world-class education providers with high academic quality. Its outstanding education is recognized around the world. In fact, many Australian universities are ranked among the top 100 best universities in the world, and 10 Nobel Prize winners from 1915 to 2005 studied in Australian universities. In addition to this, Australian university teachers are required to carry out continuous research and to have at least a PhD degree. Furthermore, there are many testimonials of former international students who have gotten important positions in well-known companies after having completed their degrees in Australia.

Courses offered in Australia to international students can be classified in the following three main groups:

English Language Courses

English courses are provided by institutes and universities, which offer a range of courses catering for students with a variety of needs:

  • General English: For persons who need to develop all their language skills. Courses range from beginner to advanced levels.
  • English for Academic Purposes: For people who need to prepare themselves for vocational or higher education studies.
  • English for Specific Purposes: For persons who are looking for English courses specialized in particular areas such as business, tourism and teaching, among others.
  • IELTS and Cambridge Preparation: For people who need to prepare for English language tests such as IELTS and Cambridge, among others. These international exams constitute an essential requirement for undertaking vocational and higher studies in Australia and other English speaking countries.

Vocational Education & Training Programs

These are vocational courses for those students who want to undertake short-term programs, especially in trade occupations such as: bakery, hairdressing, cookery, hospitality, building, and tourism, among many others. Private and government institutes called TAFEs (Technical and Further Education) offer Certificates I, II, III and IV, diplomas and advanced diplomas. Their duration ranges from 3 months to 2 years approximately, depending on the type of course. Most of the institutes have especial agreements with certain universities that recognize these studies, so students can continue their higher studies at those universities without starting from the beginning. These courses require a high intermediate English level which corresponds to an IELTS overall band of 4.5 to 6.0 or equivalent in other recognized English tests.

Foundation Year and Undergraduate Programs                                                                 

International students who have not completed year 12 at their high schools or an International Baccalaureate are usually required to undertake a foundation year before starting their undergraduate studies. The foundation year prepares students for this type of studies and is offered in private institutions, TAFEs and universities.

There are two types of undergraduate programs: bachelors with or without honours. The difference between the two types of study is that the bachelor with honours contains an additional year that can include a research component. Bachelors without honours usually take three years, but some programs like medicine, among others, could take more time. The foundation year and the undergraduate programs require an advanced English level, which corresponds to an IELTS-Academic overall band of 6.0 to 7.0 or equivalent in other recognized English tests.


Postgraduate Programs

Universities offer different types of postgraduate programs: graduate certificates (6 months), graduate diplomas (1 year), masters (from 1 to 2 years) and PhD studies (around 3 years). There are two types of masters: masters by course work and masters by research or advanced. Masters by course work are based on courses and do not include a research component. They usually take from 1 to 1 ½ years and are designed for professionals who want to venture in a new area, different from their undergraduate studies. As the name indicates, masters by research do include a research component (project) and take from 1 ½ to 2 years. An advanced English level is required for all postgraduate programs, which corresponds to an IELTS-academic overall band of 6.0 to 7.0 or equivalent in other recognized English tests.

For further information about these and other study programs please ask your student counsellor at Australian Engagement-Education Consultants.

Australian Engagement helps you in:

  • Identifying the best study option for you
  • Enrolling at the education institution of your choice
  • Applying for scholarships
  • Applying for your student visa
  • Job hunting
  • Getting connected to official translators, registered immigration and tax agents, and travel consultants

             We also provide you:

  • Pre-departure appropriate advice and support during your stay
  • Virtual assistance and visa application  from anywhere in the world


             Counselling free of charge!


  • qeac


  • agent

    Agent consellor